Monday, April 24, 2017

What have I been doing the last six months??



 For Christmas 2016, Arne and I went on an 8-day cruise with stops in Haiti, Jamaica, Costa Maya and Cozumel, Mexico. We went on the Oasis of the Seas with 6400 passengers and 2000+ crew. Once on the ship, you really don’t feel that there are that many passengers. Fortunately, a friend had told us to make reservations for the shows. We were not able to book two of the shows ahead of time but did get to see them once on the ship.


The highlight of our shore excursions was an all day trip to Chichén Itzå, one of the largest Mayan cities and it was likely to have been one of the mythical great cities.

Stone Ring located 9 m (30 ft) above the floor of the Great Ballcourt. Try putting a ball through that!

El Castillo dominates the center of the archaeological site.



January 13, I flew to Phoenix where I met Kadin at the airport. Her dad went with Gracie to her volleyball tournament in El Paso so Kadin asked me to join her in Phoenix for her volleyball tournament. I was happy to do that. Since she didn’t play until mid-afternoon on Saturday Kadin’s 16th birthday, we went to the mall to spend some of her Christmas money. She saw Build a Bear and I told her whatever she wanted, I would get the same. We came out with two tigers dressed in NBA uniforms, her choice! She named hers Kiki so I named mine Tiki.
With Tiki and Kiki
Team bonding, with cell phone, at breakfast
Erik and Gracie drove from El Paso to Phoenix Saturday night after her tournament. They got to our hotel late Saturday night.

Sunday was all volleyball. Kadin’s team didn’t do well and on Monday had to play early, way out in Queen Creek. I let Erik sleep in and I took Kadin. They lost their first game and were done, which was good since they had to drive back to Los Alamos that day. However, Erik didn’t seem in a big hurry. We met Nick, Sarah and Aaron D for lunch. Erik and the girls finally headed home around 2:30. I returned my rental car to the airport where Marla picked me up. I spent four days with her and Mark. On Friday, I flew to Albuquerque for another volleyball tournament. Erik brought Jeffrey down so I got to see all three grandkids. The girls went home with their mother. Erik, Jeffrey and I spent Monday night in Albuquerque and I flew home on Tuesday.

Family lunch on MLK Day


Lunch with high school friends from Iowa

February 18, I flew back to Albuquerque hoping to see Kadin play on Sunday. She was sick and didn’t play. Erik and I spent the night in ABQ and drove to Los Alamos on Sunday. Jeffrey came over and spent the whole week with us. He had no school on Monday and half day on Wednesday so I got to spend quite a bit of time with him.
Jeffrey entertaining himself during ANOTHER volleyball game
Gracie patiently waiting for her sister so we could head to Amarillo.
Jeffrey's Christmas present
 On Friday, I rode with the girls and Erik to Amarillo, TX, for another volleyball tournament. I flew home from there on Sunday afternoon.

March 6, Arne and I flew to Phoenix. We rented a house in Terravita for two weeks. The first week I hiked four times, three with sister Marla. Arne and I went to a Cubs Spring Training game, spent several hours at the Musical Instrument Museum and another day visited with good friends, the Dille’s. The second week we had visitors. Arne’s cousins from California, Marge and Eileen, were with us Tuesday to Thursday afternoon. Thursday night Erik and Jeffrey flew to Phoenix. Erik stayed with Nick as they were going to my nephew Matt’s bachelor weekend. We had Jeffrey for three days. We took him to the aquarium and butterfly exhibit the first day. The second day was desert walking and swimming. On Sunday, we picked up Erik and were joined at Cubs spring training game by Nick, Sarah and Aaron D. Erik and Jeffrey stayed with us until Tuesday, March 21, when we all flew home. Great two weeks!!

Arne with his California cousins, Eileen and Marge




March 29, I finally went on a Florida hike. It was a 5.5 mile round trip through pine trees. Rather boring after the hikes I had in Arizona.

No comments:

Post a Comment