Saturday, September 3, 2011

Travel To & From Oakland

Wednesday evening, August 24, Tim and Marilyn from Scottsdale arrived for a short visit. Arne and I were scheduled to fly to Oakland on Friday, the 26th. After watching the weather channel for days, we decided Hurricane Irene might cause us a problem so changed our flight to Saturday morning. This required changing reservations for rental car and hotel in CA but also gave us a little more time with Tim and Marilyn. They loved pickleball as we played Thursday and Friday mornings. Marilyn promised to come back again for a longer visit. They were quite impressed with The Villages.

Arne and I stayed near the airport in Orlando Friday night (26th) and left our car there. As we began our return home on Thursday, Sept. 1, Arne mentioned that he wasn't sure where he'd put the keys. Once we got to the airport, we found a table in a corner near Security so he could go through his suitcase. No key! I called the places we'd stayed in CA and no key! I actually made 13 calls that day and 11 calls on Friday. Such a mess! We couldn't decide whether to take a shuttle home, get our extra key, drive the Corvette back to pick up the Avalon OR to have the car towed to a Toyota dealer and have another key made. We stayed in Orlando Thursday night and the next morning the towing company sent a flatbed truck. This wouldn't work as there was not enough room for the truck. The next truck was smaller with front wheel lift but no way to get at the front of our car as another car was parked in that spot. After finding out that it was going to cost almost $500 to have a new FOB made, we decided getting our other key was the best thing to do. We were also hoping the lost key would be found. As we're standing in front of the hotel thirty minutes later, waiting for their shuttle to take us to the airport where we could get a van to take us home, Arne noticed our car was gone from its parking spot. We walked over there to find the towing company had come back! There were 4 guys with the two different trucks. They had put concrete under the front wheels and dragged the car out of its spot. We told them we didn't want it taken to Toyota. Since they couldn't put it back, they said they would store it overnight. So...this afternoon we'll drive back to Orlando to pick it up.

The good news is that Arne finally remembered that he had put the key in the nightstand drawer. Sure enough, after calling the hotel they were able to find the key. This morning, I'm lying in bed and remember I left a bathing suit, coverup and a tank top in a dresser drawer in that same hotel! I was blaming Arne's forgetfulness on his turning 70. Guess I'm already there. :-(

No comments:

Post a Comment