Monday, September 1, 2008

Feminist for Life

I read where Sarah Palin was a member of Feminists for Life. I checked out their website and decided to join. It's only $25 per year. I never thought of myself as a feminist because I always thought they were pro-choice but these women are pro-life. Their mission is to get at the root cause of abortion; i.e. poverty, lack of support. Feminists for Life

I just remembered the letter I received from my principal in November 1971, stating that from now on we would be allowed to wear pants, if we so desired. As a second-grade teacher who liked to get down on the floor with my students, I was thrilled. By the time I retired in 2001, it was hard to tell the younger teachers from the students. I felt many of them dressed in an unprofessional manner. Their clothing was suggestive and provocative. This was part of the deline in our culture. Young males enjoyed the dress of these young teachers and the female students. Since retiring, I have heard many stories of teachers, male and female, having sexual liaisons with students. I recall very few incidents during my 32 years in public education.

While I'm on the subject of education, I would like to go on record as saying that I believe the Federal Department of Education brought about the decline of the public schools. Besides the money flowing into Washington, D.C., some of which was never accounted for, the DoE dictated how much states would get returned for their public schools, based on their adherance to certain curriculum standards; i.e. sex education, environmental ed, safety programs, drug programs and more. Time was taken from basic curriculum to make room for these additonal programs.

"The Reagan Administration had little sympathy for the newly created U.S. Department of Education, which they regarded as Carter's political reward to the National Education Association (NEA)."Changing Federal Strategies for Supporting Educational Research, Development, and Statistics - September 1998

No comments:

Post a Comment